Civilian Peace Support Operations
This course is opened to thirty (30) practitioners and students wishing to work or gain knowledge on the general aspects of Peace Support Operations notably: government officials in relevant fields, Diplomats, NGO Representatives, human rights activists and other Practitioners. Applicants must be nationals of an African country and have a University degree OR five years working experience in a relevant field. Fluency in English and French is essential.
This course is the first step of a pioneering endeavour to create a pool of trained civilian professionals in Cameroon, equipping them with fundamental knowledge on peacekeeping operations, as a means of increasing their readiness and competencies, in responding to a significantly growing demand for civilian expertise in peacekeeping, peace building and conflict management in Africa and around the world.
English is the working language.
Recent trends and challenges in PK and PB Operations with special focus on the situation in Africa
Crisis Management Operations: An Introduction
- The PK Mission Life Cycle
- The AU legal and institutional framework for the delivery of Peace Support Operations
- The legal status of the PK Mission personnel
- The right to vote and to be elected: legal aspects
- Electoral Assistance and Observation: General Principles, Main Actors and Activities
- Electoral Observation: Roles and Duties of Long-term Observers (LTOs): some case studies Electoral Observation: Roles and Duties of Short-term Observers (STOs)
- Election Observation Mission: role play
- The African Legal and institutional Framework for the protection and Promotion of Human and People’s Rights
- Introduction to Universal Human Rights Law and Institutions and to Human Rights Field Operations
- Introduction to International Criminal Law, Transitional Justice etc.
- Fact Finding
- Human Rights Education
- Reporting Techniques
- Case Study on HR Missions and final role play
Training methodologies will include seminars, lectures, role-playing sessions and simulations.
How to apply
Applicants are required to complete an application form and email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org alongside a copy of their Curriculum Vitae, and a scanned copy of a receipt for the payment of a non-refundable application fee of 5,000 FCFA. Application fees should be paid directly into FPS-UNICS account number: 37320105139087 YMC at any UNICS Branch or download from this page see the doc attached.
At the end of the course, participants will be awarded an attendance certificate.