Micro-Nano-Bio Systems and Targeted Therapies Laboratory
The research mission of the Lab is grounded on a strongly interdisciplinary approach and on the hypothesis that a properly driven cross-fertilization between mechatronics, materials science, biotechnologies and molecular biology can produce:
Disruptive technological advancements for the development of new flexible and scalable machines, based on smart materials and biohybrid devices, integrating living cells and tissues with artificial components;
A dramatic improvement of targeted and minimally invasive therapies, enabling an important leap of several medical treatments: to achieve this objective, a combination of insights coming from applied physics and materials science (e.g. concerning novel responsive materials), surface functionalization strategies and ad hoc technological tools will be needed;
Innovative technological tools enabling significant discoveries in Life Sciences: heterogeneous ICT-based microdevices and nanostructured materials may give a key contribution to tissue engineering and regenerative medicine, allowing at the same time to unveil fundamental principles related to healthy or diseased cells/tissues and their organization in 3D functional structures.
- T. Mazzocchi, L. Ricotti, N. Pinzi, A. Menciassi. Magnetically controlled endourethral artificial urinary sphincter. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. Doi: 10.1007/s10439-016-1784-2; 2016.
- A. Cafarelli, A. Verbeni, A. Poliziani, P. Dario, A. Menciassi, L. Ricotti. Tuning acoustic and mechanical properties of materials for ultrasound phantoms and smart substrates for cell cultures. Acta Biomaterialia. Doi: 10.1016/j.actbio.2016.11.049; 2016.
- V. Iacovacci, L. Ricotti, P. Dario, A. Menciassi. Design and development of a mechatronic system for noninvasive refilling of implantable artificial pancreas. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics. 20: 1160-1169; 2015.
- L. Vannozzi, L. Ricotti, M. Cianchetti, C. Bearzi, C. Gargioli, R. Rizzi, P. Dario, A. Menciassi. Self-assembly of polydimethylsiloxane structures from 2D to 3D for bio-hybrid actuation. Bioinspiration & Biomimetics. 10: 056001; 2015.
- V. Iacovacci, G. Lucarini, L. Ricotti, P. Dario, P. Dupont, A. Menciassi. Untethered magnetic millirobot for targeted drug delivery. Biomedical Microdevices. 17(3): 9962; 2015.
- L. Ricotti, A. Cafarelli, V. Iacovacci, L. Vannozzi, A. Menciassi. Advanced micro-nano-bio systems for future targeted therapies. Current Nanoscience. 11(2): 144-160; 2015.
- L. Ricotti, T. Fujie, H. Vazão, G. Ciofani, R. Marotta, R. Brescia, C. Filippeschi, I. Corradini, M. Matteoli, V. Mattoli, L. Ferreira, A. Menciassi. Boron nitride nanotube-mediated stimulation of cell co-culture on micro-engineered hydrogels. PLoS ONE. 8: e71707; 2013.
- L. Ricotti, A. Menciassi. Engineering stem cells for future medicine. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 60: 727-734; 2013.