Donato Romano received the M.Sc. degrees in Agricultural Science and Technologies (summa cum laude) from the University of Pisa, Italy, in 2014.
He received the PhD in BioRobotics (summa cum laude) at The BioRobotics Institute, Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, Pisa, Italy, in 2018.
He is currently an Assistant Professor at The BioRobotics Institute.
He is mainly focusing his activities on bioinspired and biomimetic robotics, and in particular on animal-robot interactions, biohybrid intelligent systems, ethorobotics, neuroethology, EvoDevo. Romano’s research contributions represent a sophisticated approach to the study of behaviour in animals, with potential applications in agriculture, environmental management, biomedical contexts, and biohybrid multiagent systems.
He also worked as visiting researcher at Khalifa University, Abu Dhabi (UAE), where he carried out research activities in the framework of recent advances in methods of using Terahertz (THz) frequency band to study the interaction between radiation and biological molecules and tissues.
Editorial board memberships:
- November 2021 – Present: Guest Editor of Bioinspiration & Biomimetics for the special issue “Biohybrid Systems: Bioinspired and Biomimetic Robots Interacting with Living Organisms”.
- December 2021 – Present: Member of the Editorial Board of Insects.
- September 2021 – Present: Associate Editor for the Conference Editorial Board (CEB) of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society for ICRA.
- February 2021 – Present: Member of the Editorial Board of Applied Sciences, section “Robotics and Automation".
- June 2020 – Present: Editor of Applied Bionics and Biomechanics, Hindawi.
- June 2018 – Present: Member of the Editorial Board of Data in Brief, Elsevier.
- March 2019 – Present: Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal “Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology (Bionics and Biomimetics)”.
- November 2020 – Present: Member of the Editorial Board of Frontiers in Robotics and AI (Bio-Inspired Robotics).
- November 2020 – December 2021: Guest Editor of Biological Cybernetics for the special issue “Animal-Robot Interaction and Biohybrid organisms”.
- December 2021 – Present: Guest Associate Editor of Frontiers in Robotics and AI for the special issue “Frontiers in Bioinspired Aerial Robotics”.
- May 2020 – March 2022: Guest Associate Editor of Applied Sciences for the special issue “Biorobotics and Bionic Systems”.
- November 2020 – Present: Guest Associate Editor of Frontiers in Psychology for the special issue “Robots and Bionic Systems as Tools to Study Cognition: Theories, Paradigms, and Methodological Issues”.
- December 2019 – September 2020: Guest Associate Editor of Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, section Bionics and Biomimetics for the special issue “Animals in Engineering: From Biomechanics and Biomimetic Structural Design to Adaptive cognition".
- June 2018 – Present: Member of the Editorial Office for IEEE Transactions on Medical Robotics and Bionics.
Awards and honours
- Winner of the Article of the Year Award 2020 for Applied Bionics and Biomechanics with the article “Impact of Different Developmental Instars on Locusta migratoria Jumping Performance” (03 July 2021).
- Winner of the prize "AgroInnovation Award", established by Image Line and Accademia dei Georgofili (May 2020).
- Winner of the prize “Italian National Bioengineering Group and Patron” for best PhD thesis in Bioengineering (Brixen, Italy, 11 September 2019).
- F1000Prime Recommendation on the article: Encoding lateralization of jump kinematics and eye use in a locust via bio-robotic artifacts., Journal of Experimental Biology, 2019 (DOI: 10.3410/f.734453040.793559235).
- Encoding lateralization of jump kinematics and eye use in a locust via bio-robotic artifacts(DOI: 10.3410/f.734453040.793559235): mention in the Highlights of Journal of Experimental Biology as the most cited article of the journal in 2019.
- Finalist for the “Giovanni Spitali Prize” (Pisa, February 2020).
- 3rd place in the 2018 StartCup Toscana (30 October 2018) with the project “HUBI-Mosquito”, a bio-hybrid artifact for the mosquito control.
- Finalist for the “Innovation National Award” (29-30 November 2018) with the project “HUBI-Mosquito”, a bio-hybrid artifact for the mosquito control.