2nd Level Master
UNDERWATER AND HYPERBARIC MEDICINE "PIERGIORGIO DATA"
Application e-learning (UE o non UE not resident in Italy)
The need to provide scientific and technical bases of excellence and continuous updating in the field of Underwater and Hyperbaric Medicine originates from the many professional, recreational and sport diving activities, as well as the importance of oxygen Hyperbaric Therapy in the Clinic, based on consolidated and modern scientific research, as the necessary fundamentals for the highest levels of university teaching.
These needs have led researchers from the Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies and the Institute of Clinical Physiology of the CNR of Pisa to set up in 2005 the Second Level University Master in Underwater and Hyperbaric Medicine "PierGiorgio Data". The Master is aimed to Medical doctors under the age of 65, also with professional experience in the field of underwater medicine and / or hyperbaric medicine. It is aimed to create professional figures able to prevent and manage underwater accidents, decompression sickness, and diseases that require hyperbaric medical treatment.
This Masters course represents the European benchmark for over a decade: its training activity is based on an effective research performed by the Institute of Life Sciences of the Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies and the Institute of Clinical Physiology of the CNR, for the underwater and hyperbaric medicine sector. The Master combines educational science with scientific and technical (patents) production as a further added value for education.
The Master is aimed to Medical Doctors under the age of 65, also with professional experience in the field of underwater medicine and / or hyperbaric medicine. The main aim is the training of Medical Doctors able to prevent and manage underwater accidents, decompression sickness, and treat diseases that require treatment with hyperbaric oxygen. The Master Diploma will also provide the title to work and manage a hyperbaric medical system .
The Master's training objective, according to the European guidelines "Training standards for diving and hyperbaric medicine", developed by the Joint Medical Subcommittee of the European Committee for Hyperbaric Medicine (ECHM) and the European Diving Technology Committee (EDTC) (2011), is to provide Medical Doctors specific Bio-Medical, physical and technological knowledge concerning the field of Underwater and Hyperbaric Medicine. The Master’s education provides the theoretical and practical basis for assessing the psycho-physical fitting of candidates for underwater activities requiring certification, as well as for organizing, verifying and ensuring the suitability of rescue organizations, and for education to accomplish scientific research activities in the field of underwater and hyperbaric medicine. Then, it will be supplied the practical and operational knowledge to prevent and manage underwater accidents, decompression sickness, and pathologies requiring hyperbaric treatment. Moreover it is also provide to the students the skills to work in a hyperbaric facility and/or manage the hyperbaric operations, and to design research protocols. The Master will be mainly focused on the most up-to-date technologies and methodologies concerning the Underwater and Hyperbaric Medicine, giving particular emphasis to aspects related to clinical practice.
The Master's program includes two biennial training courses with a total duration of 620 hours starting on 15 April 2018 and ending on 25 March 2020; the two type of courses differ for the way to supply the necessary theoretical teaching.
1) The first path, is carried out at the Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies and at the Institute of Clinical Physiology (CNR Research Area of Pisa) in Italian and English, involves the realization of the teaching activity in mixed mode: by face to face frontal lessons and by e-learning mode;
The course delivered in mixed mode provides a total of 620 hours, organized as follows:
- 210 hours of frontal and/or recorded lectures, available bay a teleconferencing internet platform
- 80 hours of seminar activity carried out by experts;
- 150 hours of on-line training (delivered specific e-learning platform);
- 90 hours of Practical Stages for Hyperbaric Medicine;
- 90 hours of Practical Diving stages Exercises
2) The second path, reserved to ten EU or not EU medical doctors (with the exclusion of citizens residing in the Italian territory) provides the teaching activities, in English, completely by e-learning mode. The theoretical training course provided in e-learning mode, carried out in collaboration with the University of Gdansk (Poland), is divided as follows:
- 360 hours of e-learning teaching provided entirely in English on a specific e-learning platform;
- 80 hours of seminar activity available via webinar (live or recorded) accessible via the web;
- 180 hours of practical activity at the National Center for Hyperbaric Medicine of the Institute of Maritime and Tropical Medicine of the Medical University of Gdansk, in agreement with the Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies and in collaboration with the CNR Institute of Clinical Physiology.
The educational program provides the following subject areas:
- Underwater Medicine Area: aimed at acquiring the theoretical and practical knowledge of the different types of underwater human activities, the fundamental knowledge and practical skills in the field of underwater medicine and extraordinary environments of surface and underwater naval vessels;
- Hyperbaric Medicine Area: aimed at acquiring advanced knowledge and medical and technological skills in the field of hyperbaric treatments with particular reference to hyperbaric oxygen therapy;
- Legal, Economic and Insurance Area: aimed at learning the fundamental principles of national and international legislation applied to the field of underwater and hyperbaric medicine.
The lessons will also provide specific notions of physics and bioengineering concerning underwater and hyperbaric medicine field, as well as physiology of the cardiovascular, pulmonary, neurological systems and specific clinical activities related to them.
The following certifications will be provided as part of the Master's program:
International certification of the DMAC (Diving Medical Advisory Committee and the EDTCmed (European Diving Technology Committee), in accordance with the criteria of the European Committee for Hyperbaric Medicine (ECHM):
Level ID: (Medical Assessment of Divers - Medical Examiner of Divers),
Level IID: (Medical Management of Diseases and Underwater Accidents - Expertise in Underwater Medicine)
From 2015, the ECHM (European Committee for Hyperbaric Medicine) and the ECB (European College of Baromedicine) recognize the Master also as a
level IIH course of hyperbaric medicine.
Today, the IID and IIH levels represent the highest recognized levels of competence in the field of Underwater and Hyperbaric Medicine in Europe.
The Master also includes the participation in the course :
“Medical Gas Handling”, provided by SIAD (Italian Acetilene and Derivati Spa Company) of the Praxair International Group at Avenza's headquarters) and relative certification of frequency certification: 8 hours
How to apply
The candidates are required to apply, exclusively by internet, for admission, no later than March 15, 2018 to the following addresses
- For the training path in mixed mode: http://www.santannapisa.it/mastersub/domande
- For the training path in e-learning mode: http://www.santannapisa.it/mastersub/elearning/domande
Euro 3500 (divided in two instalments )
At the end of the Master, the School releases, pursuant to art. 3 of D.M. 270/2004 and subsequent amendments, the title of II level Master's degree to the students who have attended regularly and profitably to the training program, in compliance with the requirements of the Master Regulations, and in accordance with the payment of the enrolment fee.