International Relations

Welcome and support

Guidelines for non-Italian citizens

In order to activate the procedures related to your arrival and your stay at the Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies, non-Italian people who are coming will receive an invitation to fill in an Application Form with useful data which will provide the Welcome Office with all what is needed to organize your arrival and stay at the School.


EU citizens

EU citizens (who come from EU member States and EEA States) need to carry an identity document in order to move without limitations in Italy.

EU member States: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, United Kingdom, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Hungary.
EEA States (non UE members): Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland.

If you are going to stay less than 90 days

A stay that lasts less than three months does not require any official formalities.

If you are going to stay longer than 90 days

If you are going to stay in Italy longer than 90 days, you must register at the office Ufficio Anagrafe (Registry Office) of the municipality of Pisa (Comune di Pisa, Piazza XX settembre 1 – Palazzo Gambacorti). This will not imply replacing the residence in your home country.

Non EU citizens

Which kind of Visa do I have to request?

Depending on your citizenship, your country of residence, length and purposes (study, work, tourism, etc.) of your stay, you may need to obtain a visa before coming to Italy. Visas can be short-term (less than 90 days - Type C) or long-term (for more than 90 days - Type D).

In order to help you find out whether you need an entry visa or not and which documents are required in order to apply, you can simply query the database of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. By selecting your nationality, your residence, the length of your stay in Italy and the purpose of your visit, the database provides the right information about the documents that have to be enclosed with the application.

Short term Visa – C- (less than 90 days)

For study, work, business, mission, sport competitions and tourism purposes, citizens of Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, South Korea, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), Japan, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Israel, Malaysia, Macao, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, USA, Taiwan, Uruguay, Venezuela can freely travel to Italy for less than 90 days without a short-term visa. Once in Italy they must report their presence at the local police headquarter ("Questura") if they entered Italy as a second Schengen country.

Long term Visa – D – (longer than 90 days)

The national visa of “D” category is granted to the certain individuals who are to be studying, working or permanently residing in one of the Schengen countries. The national visa can be of a single entry, granted for the people who are in need of residing in the Schengen country for a certain period of time and for a sole purpose after which they shall return to their country.

Documents needed:
- The visa application form duly filled in
- Passport-size photo
- Valid passport
- Proof of availability of sufficient means of subsistence (e.g. study grant, bank or insurance warranty or equivalent credit document, etc.)
- Declaration of availability of suitable accommodation/appropriate lodging in Italy
- Travel ticket

If you are have been admitted in a Master Course/ Phd program

As soon as you receive the official invitation letter from the School, the same letter will be sent to the Italian Diplomatic Authorities (Embassy or Consulate) in your home country, or in the country of your permanent residence. At that point, you can apply for a study visa type D (= 'long-term', i.e. valid for more than 90 days).

You have also to provide the Italian Diplomatic Authorities with the enrolment letter of the School in your Course or Phd Program.

If you are interested in a Master of Science (MSC)

Before enrolling in an Italian University, you need to download the Pre-enrollment forms from the Ministry of Education's website (

After filling the forms out, you must take them to the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your country which you may find at the following website by typing your country name: Ministero degli Affari Esteri - Ambasciate.

You may apply to only one Italian university and for only one course of studies. The competent Italian embassy/consulate is the authority responsible for accepting your pre-application request and making sure it meets the necessary requirements to obtain a "Study Visa".

They will then transmit the list of accepted applicants to the Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies by e-mail, return all required documentation to each applicant, and provide information about the admission exam.

The number of places available is established every academic year by the Italian universities and published on the Ministry of Education's website. There you will also find any details concerning the validity of qualifications obtained abroad and the procedures for the pre-application.

If you have been admitted as a researcher

Following the Italian immigration rules, if you are a researcher admitted at the School, you will have to ask for a 'Research Visa' in the nearest Italian Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.

According to the European law, ‘researcher’ means a third-country national holding an appropriate higher education qualification, which gives access to doctoral programmes, who is selected by a research organisation for carrying out a research project for which the above qualification is normally required.

In order to apply for your Visa, the Immigration Office (Sportello Unico per l’Immigrazione) of the Italian Government in Pisa will electronically transmit a document called 'Nulla Osta' (entry clearance) - which represents the relevant document which is going to support your Visa application - to the Italian Embassy in your country of residence. The Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies takes care of the internal procedure to provide to the’ Sportello Unico per l’Immigrazione ‘ all the necessary documents for your application.

If you have a work contract with the Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies

According to Italian Law, in order to come to Italy with a work contract an extra EU citizen has to request a WORK Visa. To obtain this kind of Visa you should apply for it to the nearest Italian Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence with the legal certifications which will be provided by the Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies. In order to prepare them you will be requested in advance to send to the School some documents which will be relevant for the procedure.

I am married: can I also get a Visa for my family?

In order to foster family cohesion if you hold an entry visa for study or research you can apply for visa for your family (spouse, dependent children) at the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your home country. Application for entry clearance for a family member can be submitted by proxy.

If you are already in Italy, you can apply for a ”family reunion” (ricongiungimento familiare).

If all requirements are satisfied, the Immigration Office (Sportello Unico per l’Immigrazione) of the Italian Government in Pisa will issues an entry clearance ('Nulla Osta') within 90 days of application.

A stay permit for family reasons entitles the holder to take on subordinate work or self-employment, to be granted access to education and to health care provided by the National Health Service.

PLEASE NOTE: A foreign family member of an Italian or EU national is not required to apply for entry clearance at the Sportello Unico, but can apply for an entry visa directly at the Italian Embassy.


The Welcome Office should have received and processed your Application Form, so your arrival is already organized, and will wait for you at the School

I am a EU citizen: what I should do?

If you are going to stay in Italy longer than 90 days, you must register at the office Ufficio Anagrafe (Registry Office) of the municipality of Pisa (Comune di Pisa, Piazza XX settembre 1 – Palazzo Gambacorti). This will not imply replacing the residence in your home country.

Documents needed to be registered with the Ufficio Anagrafe:
- Passport or valid ID
- Certificate of attendance issued by the Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies
- Proof of sufficient means of subsistence (i.e. study grant, etc.)

- Valid health insurance (see below)

I am a non EU citizen: do I need to apply for a Stay permit?

If  you are a non-EU/EEA citizen staying less than 90 days, you are not requested to apply for a Stay Permit.

If I am staying longer than 90 days?

If you are a non-EU/EEA citizen and you wish to study at SSSA for more than 90 days, you must apply for a permit of stay in order to legally stay in Italy. With the VISA issued by the Italian Consulate/Embassy in your country of origin, you must apply within 8 working days, after your arrival in Italy, for your permit of stay.

Procedure to apply for an Italian Stay Permit (PSE)

Please see the attachment

The renewal of the Stay Permit

Please see the attachment


How to reach Pisa

Pisa is easy to reach both from other parts of Italy and from abroad:

By car: from Genoa or Milan take the A12 Genova-Pisa highway. For arrival from Rome, take the A12 Roma-Civitavecchia highway and the E80 expressway. From Florence take the A11 Firenze-Mare highway or the Firenze-Pisa-Livorno expressway.

By train: If you are arriving from Rome you can take a direct train to Pisa. Alternatively, you can take a train from Rome to Florence, and use the train service linking Pisa and Florence (takes about one hour). If you are arriving from Milan, you should take a train to Florence, where you can get a connection to Pisa. Pisa is also on the Rome-Genoa line with frequent trains in both directions. Pisa Central Station is a 15-minute walk from the Scuola, which is on the south side of the river Arno. For more information please visit:

By plane: Galileo Galilei International Airport is located in Pisa. It is the most important airport in Tuscany, connecting the city with major Italian and European destinations. The airport is just one kilometre from the city. There are connections to the city both by train and bus.The taxi rank is located in front of the airport exit. A "Collective Taxi" service is available from the airport to Pisa Central Station and Piazza Duomo. These taxis take a maximum of eight people with a set rate per person. For more information:

City bus service: The bus company (CPT) serves the city with many local bus routes and even routes connecting Pisa with the main seaside resorts such as Tirrenia, Marina di Pisa, Marina di Vecchiano and Viareggio (you can find time tables in the CPT office located in Piazza Sant'Antonio, close to the central train station). Within the city there are three main bus routes identified with 3 colors: LAM rossa (LAM red), LAM verde (LAM green) and LAM blu (LAM blue). These Lam lines run about every 10 minutes. The most useful for tourists is the LAM rossa/red that connects Pisa airport, the train station and Piazza dei Miracoli (where the leaning tower is located) distant five minutes walk to/from the Scuola. The Bus company CPT is located in Piazza Sant’Antonio, near the Central Railway Station,for further information please visit:


Usually students find an apartment to share with other Italian or foreign colleagues by checking out postings placed on bulletin boards in each of the School's locations or by referring to estate agencies, browse internet and read local newspapers for advertisements.

Here below some useful links:


The cost of accommodation depends a lot on the location. The cost of a furnished single room with shared facilities in the centre of Pisa or close-by ranges from € 300 to € 350 euros per month, whereas one bed in a double room costs around 200/250 euros. The rent for a furnished flat/apartment in Pisa ranges from € 500 to 1000 euros, depending on the location, number of rooms, whether facilities are private or shared, etc. Rent is usually paid monthly.


Before renting a room or an apartment, ask whether the agreed price includes any extras such as: utilities (heating, water, light and gas bills etc); a condominium charge (e.g. cleaning, use of a lift, communal lighting, and garden maintenance). Generally extra expenses are not included, hence you may need to calculate at least 30 euros extra per month. In most cases, one or two months rent is required in advance as part of a deposit (“caparra”), which will be returned when you leave the room or apartment.


A codice fiscale (Italian tax code) is a personal code that identifies each person within the Italian State. You need one to open a bank account, or to get a cellular phone, and to receive your scholarship.

To obtain a codice fiscale, you need to complete a request form and apply to the “Agenzia delle Entrate” with a valid identity document (for example: passport, Stay Permit or receipt of request, visa). The codice fiscale is usually issued immediately.

Address: Agenzia delle Entrate di Pisa, via Matteucci - GALLERIA G.B.GERACE, 7/15- 56124 Pisa, Tel +39 050 315471 Fax +39 050 3154823


If you need to open a bank account, you should go to one of the local banks with the following documents:

• Stay Permit (or the temporary receipt you received after making your application) or codice fiscale (Italian tax code)

• certificate of school enrolment

• identity document or passport


Catholic religion

Pisa has plenty of catholic churces. For any informations


Synagogue Via Palestro, 24 56127 – Pisa Tel and Fax +39 050 542580


Islamic Cultural Centre; 16, v. delle Belle Donne, Pisa 56125, Tel +39 050 45466


C.U.S.(Centro Universitario Sportivo) in Pisa offers a wide range of sporting activities. CUS - Secretarial Office (open mornings between 10.00 and 12.00), Via Federico Chiarugi 6 Pisa, Tel. +39 050 562326.

See also: Web:

For a list of other sports organizations see:à_sportive.htm

There are also gym clubs in Pisa (Palestre).

For a list see:

Language courses

If you are a student of the Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies you can access to the linguistic course held by the Linguistic Centre of the University of Pisa (


Here are a few explanations of important words, which may be of use to you when trying to arrange your accommodation in Pisa:

Camera singola: single room.

Camera doppia: double room.

Lavatrice: washing machine. Termosingolo/termoautonomo/Riscaldamento: heating system for an individual house.

Riscaldamento centralizzato: heating system for a whole building.

Posto-bici: place for the bicycle.

Posto-letto: an extra bed, perhaps in a double room

Spese di condominio: maintenance expenses for the communal areas in an apartment block.

Ragazzo/a pendolare: students who live and study during the week and then go home at the weekends.

Caparra/Cauzione: a deposit, which is usually given back when the tenant leaves providing there has been no problem or damage during their stay.

Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies


The Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies has a well-stocked library including the best scientific and academic publications from all over the world.

Please visit:

Pisa University's extensive cultural and historic resources are also open to students, professors and the general public. Please visit:


Full-time students, postgraduate students, research associates, School fellowship holders, teaching personnel, technical and administrative staff, contract researchers and guests of the School are permitted to use the canteen. The canteen is located within the Headquarters of the Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies, in Piazza Martiri della Libertà, 33 – Pisa

Please visit:


ASL (Azienda Sanitaria Locale): the local health-care offices

CLI (Centro Linguistico Interdipartimentale) Interdepartmental Language Centre of University of Pisa

CUS (Comitato Sportivo Universitario) the University's sports association

DSU (Azienda Regionale per il Diritto allo Studio): a regional institution that grants financial aid to students

EU European Union

IRO International Relations Office

LA (Laurea): a 3-year first-cycle degree equivalent to 180 credits

LS (Laurea specialistica): a 2-year second-cycle degree equivalent to 120 credits

LSU (Laurea specialistica a ciclo unico): a 5/6-year single-cycle degree equivalent to 300/360credits

MA (Master universitario): a 1-year or 2-years specialization course equivalent to 60 credits

MIUR (Ministero dell'Università e della Ricerca): the Italian Ministry of University and Research

PSV Polo Sant’Anna Valdera (Pontedera)

SSN (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale) the Italian National Health Service

SSSUP Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna di Studi Universitari e Perfezionamento

URP (Ufficio Relazioni con il Pubblico): information office


• 1st January - New Year's Day

• 6th January – Epiphany

• Early April - Easter Monday

• 25thApril - Liberation Day

• 1st May - Labour Day

• 2nd June – Italian Republic Holiday

• 17thJune - Patron saint's day, San Ranieri

• 26th July - Patron saint’s day of the Scuola (Sant’Anna)

• 15thAugust - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

• 1stNovember - All Saints Day

• 8thDecember - Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary

• 24thDecember - Christmas Eve

• 25thDecember - Christmas Day

• 26thDecember – Boxing Day / St. Stephen’s Day


INPS Procedures
File DOCX - 15 kb
File PDF - 197 kb