CORSI ALTA FORMAZIONE
Health Systems through Crisis and Recovery
The Course focuses on health issues, but it is open to professionals from other disciplines.
Millions of people do not have access to health care, because health systems in many countries are either non-existent or dramatically failing. Most of them live in areas chronically affected by violent conflict or slowly re-emerging from it.
The volatility and complexity of conflict and post-conflict contexts pose daunting challenges to health workers – both national and international – who are called to rehabilitate derelict health structures. Lack of properly prepared professionals in this field has often resulted in reconstruction efforts characterized by weak analysis, little understanding, inadequate planning and poor implementation. This training programme intends to alleviate this gap.
The Course, held for the first time in 2005, has evolved substantially since then. It is actively kept in progress, by constantly updating its contents, introducing new study topics and materials, and inviting new experienced lecturers. The Course programme maintains a degree of flexibility to discuss in detail topics of particular interest to participants.
Training objectives and modules:
The Course aims to:
- Introduce participants to the main features of conflict-ridden environments;
- Identify and discuss the main features of health systems during protracted crises and recovery processes, and the most common distortions plaguing healthcare provision;
- Analyse and reflect upon the challenges faced by health actors in countries affected or recovering from a conflict;
- Introduce participants to recovery processes, to the dangers they pose and to the opportunities they provide for correcting long-standing distortions and creating more efficient and fair health systems;
- Familiarize participants with the literature existing in this field and stimulate their interest in conducting further research.
The Course enrolment fee amounts to:
- 1.500,00 Euros for participants sponsored by any organization or by their employer;
- 1.200,00 Euros for self-sponsored participants
and includes attendance of all the lessons, the teaching material and the lunch on class days at the canteen.
An early bird discount is reserved for candidates applying before the 8th of January 2018. For early birds, the course fee is:
- 1.000,00 Euros for participants sponsored by any organization or by their employer;
- 800,00 Euros for self-sponsored participants.
The Course is taught in English. It is intensive in nature and demands from participants a pro-active attitude. Interaction with the trainers is encouraged through the use of case studies and practical exercises. Ample space is devoted to testimonies and reflections drawn from the personal experience of trainers and trainees.
How to apply:
Applicants shall submit their application on-line at http://www.santannapisa.it/HSCR2018/application.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and each month a selection round will be held. Selected applicants will be informed by e-mail of the result of the selection process. Unless all places are taken earlier, the final deadline for application is the 20th of February 2018.
An early bird discount is reserved for candidates applying before the 8th of January 2018
At the end of the Course the Sant’Anna School will issue a certificate of attendance to the students who attended at least 80% of the lessons, and passed the assessment tests foreseen