The Institute of Economics carries out research and training activities in the field of empirical and theoretical economics.
Main lines of research:
- the economics of innovation studying how innovations are generated and their impact at the micro, meso and macro levels;
- the empirics and theory of industrial dynamics, with emphasis on the relation between firm financial profiles and industrial performance;
- micro and macro agent-based models, with particular attention to both the real side of the economy and banking/financial sectors;
- empirical network analysis of micro and macroeconomic networks, especially finance, trade, foreign direct investment, migration and mobility.
Other research areas include:
- Individual, organizational and collective decisions beyond the rational choice paradigm
- Evolutionary foundations of macro-economics
- Evolutionary finance
- Economic history of technology and technical change
- Industrial and technological policies in industrialized and developing countries
- Applied statistics and econometrics
- Political, social and economic consequences of climate change
Our Institute welcomes and favours the dialogue between empirical investigations, theoretical developments and normative contributions - concerning both corporate management and public policies - offering an interdisciplinary environment in which different research interests and competencies, ranging from Economics, to Information Sciences, Mathematics and Physics meet and can be fruitfully integrated.
Our researchers are well nested in an international network, also through the participation to various national and international research projects.
In 2018, the results of the ANVUR VQR (the research assessment exercise of Italian higher education institutions) recognised the high quality of the research conducted at Sant’Anna and very recently the Institute of Economics has been awarded by the Ministry of Education a Department of Excellence grant to expand research and education activities in the area of Data Sciences - EMbeDS.
Historically, most of the research activities have been undertaken within the LEM - Laboratory of Economics and Management. Now all research and training activities have been taken over by the Institute, but LEM still keeps its brand name on a prestigious Working Paper Series.
Fabrizio Barca and Patrizia Luongo, respectively coordinator and researcher of the Forum on Inequalities and Diversity, have been invited by the Institute of Economics to present the Report ’Fifteen proposals for social justice’ in a public event to be held at Sant’Anna School for Advanced Studies in Pisa on July 23, 2019.
Il bando di ammissione 2019/2020 offre 60 borse di studio, finanziate dalla stessa Scuola Sant’Anna, dal Ministero dell’istruzione, università e ricerca, da enti esterni, pubblici e privati. I posti e le relative borse di studio possono aumentare, qualora siano individuati ulteriori fondi
15 proposte per la Giustizia Sociale
Presentazione del Rapporto elaborato dal Forum Disuguaglianze e Diversità
Nell'ambito delle attività di public engagement del progetto H2020 GROWINPRO - Growth Welfare Innovation Productivity - Fabrizio Barca e Patrizia Luongo presentano il Rapporto del Forum Disuguaglianze e Diversità: “15 proposte per la giustizia sociale”