The Institute of Economics carries out research and training activities in the field of empirical and theoretical economics. Our main lines of research include:
- The theory and empirics of firm-industry dynamics, with specific focus on firm growth, productivity, export, innovative active and external financing
- The economics of innovation and technical change (sources, institutions and consequences)
- Micro and macro agent-based models, with particular attention to both the real side of the economy and the banking/financial sectors
- Empirical and theoretical analysis of micro and macroeconomic networks, especially in finance, trade, foreign direct investment, migration and mobility
- Individual, organizational and collective decisions beyond the rational choice paradigm
- Evolutionary foundations of macro-economics
- Evolutionary finance
- Economic history of technology and technical change
- Industrial and technological policies in industrialized and developing countries
- Applied statistics and econometrics
- Political, social and economic consequences of climate change
We welcome and favour dialogue between empirical investigations, theoretical developments and normative contributions - concerning both corporate management and public policies - offering an interdisciplinary environment in which different research interests and competencies, ranging from Economics, to Information Sciences, Mathematics and Physics meet and can be fruitfully integrated.
Our researchers are well nested in an international network, also through the participation to various national and international research projects.
Historically, most of the research activities have been undertaken within the LEM - Laboratory of Economics and Management. Now all research and training activities have been taken over by the Institute, but LEM still keeps its brandname on a prestigious Working Paper Series.
Il bando di ammissione 2019/2020 offre 60 borse di studio, finanziate dalla stessa Scuola Sant’Anna, dal Ministero dell’istruzione, università e ricerca, da enti esterni, pubblici e privati. I posti e le relative borse di studio possono aumentare, qualora siano individuati ulteriori fondi
Professor Alessandro Nuvolari has been appointed as Research Fellow in the Economic History Programme of the Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR). CEPR is one of the leading networks of economic research in Europe.
The Long Run Effects of R&D Place-based Policies: Evidence from Russian Science Cities
Paolo Zacchia - IMT (Lucca, Italy)
The Institute of Economics will hold a meeting of its Seminar Series on Tuesday, April 30, 2019: Paolo Zacchia from IMT will present the paper "The Long Run Effects of R&D Place-based Policies: Evidence from Russian Science Cities" (with Helena Schweiger and Alexander Stepanov).
Evento: Requiem per il socialismo democratico? Le sfide della crescita sostenibile e inclusiva
, Sede centrale - Aula 3
Un incontro con Marco Leonardi, Giuseppe Provenzano, Giovanni Dosi e Andrea Roventini, moderato da Alessandro Nuvolari
Seminario: How can we explicitly show the usefulness of complex systems methods in economics?
, Palazzo Toscanelli - Aula 1
Marco Pangallo - University of Oxford