PPR3 - Development of prosthetic finger phalanges
Partial hand amputation is perhaps the most frequent amputation level, worldwide. Although its annual incidence in western countries is roughly 1:18000 inhabitants, the treatments of partial hand amputations have modestly progressed so far. PPR3, a research program funded in 2014-2016 (36 months) by INAIL (Italian Institution for Work Injuries compensation) with 1.7 M€, targeted this very important clinical and socioeconomic issue. Within a largest funding program by INAIL, PPR3 focused on the development of partial hand prostheses, in particular: novel active and passive articulated prosthetic fingers with natural control and sensory feedback through non-invasive interfaces. During the project our team at the Artificial Hands Area, together with researchers at the INAIL Prosthetic Centre, developed a number of research prostheses adaptable to different levels of partial hand amputation. In addition, PPR3 paved the way towards the fundation of the REPAIR Joint Lab at INAIL Prosthetic Centre. While this page contains the list of related publications, few pictures and videos, all information on the project can be found on the PPR3 website.
Grant No.: PPR3
Period: 2014-2016 (36 months)
Funding (to AHA): 1.7 M€
Funding (total): 1.7 M€
- I. Imbinto, F. Montagnani, M. Bacchereti, C. Cipriani, A. Davalli, R. Sacchetti, E. Gruppioni, S. Castellano, M. Controzzi, The S-Finger: a synergetic externally powered digit with tactile sensing and feedback, IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 2018;
- M. Controzzi, L. Bassi Luciani, F. Montagnani, Unified Approach to Bi-Directional Non-Back Drivable Roller Clutch Design," Mechanism and Machine Theory, Mechanism and Machine Theory, 2017;
- M. D’Alonzo, L. F. Engels, M. Controzzi, C. Cipriani, Surface electro-tactile stimulation does not elicit referred sensations in individuals with a partial hand amputation, Journal of Neural Engineering, 2017;
- I. Imbinto, C. Peccia, M. Controzzi, A. G. Cutti, A. Davalli, R. Sacchetti, C. Cipriani, Treatment of the Partial Hand Amputation: An Engineering Perspective, IEEE Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, vol. 9, pp. 32-48, 2016.
- D. Barone, M. D’Alonzo, M. Controzzi, F. Clemente, C. Cipriani, A Cosmetic Prosthetic Digit with Bioinspired Embedded Touch Feedback, IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics, pp. 1137-1141, London, UK, July 17-20, 2017; 3rd place Best Poster Award to F. Clemente.
- S. Tarantino, F. Clemente, D. Barone, M. Controzzi, C. Cipriani, A myokinetic HMI for the control of hand prostheses: a feasibility study, International Conference on NeuroRehabilitation, Segovia, Spain, October 19-22, 2016;
- M. D’Alonzo, A. I. K. Alsaqqa, M. Controzzi, C. Cipriani, Evoking referred sensations of missing digits by electro- tactile stimulations: preliminary tests, International Conference on NeuroRehabilitation, Segovia, Spain, October 19-22, 2016.
- V. Ortenzi, S. Tarantino, C. Castellini, C.Cipriani, Ultrasound imaging for hand prosthesis control: a comparative study of features and classification methods, IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics, Singapore, 11-14 August, 2015.