Call for application to the PhD in Agrobiodiversity 2023-24
Submission deadline for the online application is extended to: May, 31th 2023 at 12.00 p.m. (noon - Italian time)
The goal of this four-year PhD Programme is to enhance human resource capacities in the use and management of genetic variation in agricultural and natural systems, to improve the sustainability of agricultural systems and the conservation of genetic resources for the well-being of present and future generations. Candidates can choose between two curricula:
- Curriculum A – Plant genetic resources
- Curriculum B – Functional biodiversity in agroecosystems
Here are some examples of research areas tackled by the PhD Programme:
- Genetic variation in single genes and entire genomes of agricultural and forestry plants and their wild relatives.
- Mechanisms that control the variability in genes and/or groups of genes, as those involved in resistance to pathogens and/or pests and tolerance to environmental factors.
- Role of functional biodiversity in maintaining genetic diversity, including evolution and co-evolution of pests/pathogens and host plants.
- Role of functional diversity, including interactions between pests/ pathogens/weeds and domesticated/volunteer/wild plants, in agroecosystem health.
- Plant and crop physiology, including plant stress physiology and post-harvest physiology.
- Application of agrobiodiversity solutions at genetic, species and habitat level to improve crop performance, crop protection, sustainable crop/agroforestry management and multifunctional land use.
n. 6 positions with Scholarship of which:
n. 4 positions funded by the Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna
n. 2 positions funded by the European Union – NextGenerationEU, under the National Recovery and Resilience Plan (PNRR), Mission 4, Component 1, Investment 4.1, in compliance with Ministerial Decree n. 118/2023, and focusing on the areas of interest of the PNRR on the topic: Green Transition.
Further positions may be activated on the basis of additional financial resources, for specific agreements
Beginning of the PhD Programme: October, 1st 2023
Information Tel: +39 050.882.604