Scuola superiore sant'anna
Titolare di assegno di ricerca
- PUBBLICAZIONI SELEZIONATE
I obtained a M.Sc. Degree in Biomedical Engineering at University of Pisa in 2013 (full marks, cum laude). In June 2017 I obtained the Ph.D. in Biorobotics (full marks, cum laude) at the BioRobotics Institute of Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna (SSSA), with a thesis regarding innovative therapeutic applications of ultrasound for targeted therapies.
My scientific activity has been characterized from the beginning by a strongly interdisciplinary and curiosity-driven approach. This allowed me to carry out innovative research efforts at the interface between different disciplines, such as robotics, therapeutic ultrasound, ultrasound imaging, materials science, and biotechnologies.
From 2019 I am also co-founder of River Global Scientific Lab srl, a spin-off company of Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna dedicated to technological advances in the therapeutic ultrasound field (e.g. high intensity ultrasound for cancer treatment).
- A. Sorriento, A. Poliziani* , A. Cafarelli* , G. Valenza, and L. Ricotti. A novel quantitative and reference-free ultrasound analysis to discriminate different concentrations of bone mineral content. Scientific Reports, 2020 (* Equally contributing authors) (I.F. = 3.998)
- L. Morchi, A. Mariani, A. Diodato, S. Tognarelli, A. Cafarelli and A. Menciassi. Acoustic Coupling Quantification in Ultrasound-guided Focused Ultrasound Surgery: simulation-based evaluation and experimental fesibility study. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, 2020. (I.F. = 2.514)
- A. Novell, H. A. S Kamimura, A. Cafarelli, M. Gerstenmayer, J. Flament, J. Valette, P. Agou, A. Conti, E. Salingue, R. Aron Badin, P. Hantraye & B. Larrat. A new safety index based on intrapulse monitoring of ultra-harmonic cavitation during ultrasound-induced blood-brain barrier opening procedures. Scientific Reports, 2020. (I.F. = 4.011)
- S. Ciancia, A. Cafarelli, A. Zahoranova, A. Menciassi, & L. Ricotti. Pulsatile Drug Delivery System Triggered by Acoustic Radiation Force. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 2020. (I.F. = 4.21)
- F. Dedola, F. P. U Severino, N. Meneghetti, T. Lemaire, A. Cafarelli, L. Ricotti, A. Menciassi, A. Cutrone, A. Mazzoni & S. Micera. Ultrasound stimulations induce prolonged depolarization and fast action potentials in leech neurons. IEEE Open Journal of Engineering in Medicine and Biology, 2020.
- A. Cafarelli, P. Losi, A.R. Salgarella, M.C. Barsotti, I.B. Di Cioccio, I. Foffa, L. Vannozzi, P. Pingue, G. Soldani, L. Ricotti. Small-caliber vascular grafts based on a piezoelectric nanocomposite elastomer: Mechanical properties and biocompatibility. Journal of the mechanical behavior of biomedical materials, 2019. (I.F. = 3.239)
- A. Diodato*, A. Cafarelli*, A. Schiappacasse*, S. Tognarelli, G. Ciuti, A. Menciassi. Motion compensation with skin contact control for high intensity focused ultrasound surgery in moving organs. Physics in Medicine and biology, 2018. (* Equally contributing authors) (I.F. = 2.742)
- H. A. S. Kamimura, J. Flament, J. Valette, A. Cafarelli, R. A. Badin, P. Hantraye, B. Larrat. Feedback control of microbubble cavitation for ultrasound-mediated blood-brain barrier disruption in non-human primates under magnetic resonance guidance. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism, 2018. (I.F. = 5.081)
- A. Cafarelli, L.Ricotti, A. Verbeni, A: Poliziani, P. Dario, A. Menciassi. "Tuning mechanical and acoustic properties of materials for ultrasound phantoms and smart substrates for cell cultures". Acta Biomaterialia, 2016. (I.F. = 6.319)
- S. Tognarelli, G. Ciuti, A. Diodato, A. Cafarelli, A. Menciassi. "Robotic Platform for High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound Surgery under Ultrasound Tracking: the FUTURA Platform", Journal of Medical Robotic Research, 2017.
- A. R. Salgarella, A. Cafarelli, L. Ricotti, L. Capineri, P. Dario, A. Menciassi. "Optimal ultrasound exposure conditions for maximizing C2C12 muscle cell proliferation and differentiation". Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, 2017. (I.F. = 2.494)
- A. Cafarelli, P. Miloro, A. Verbeni, M. Carbone, and A. Menciassi. “Speed of sound in rubber-based materials for ultrasonic phantoms”. Journal of Ultrasound, 2016.
- L. Ricotti, A. Cafarelli*, V. Iacovacci*, L. Vannozzi*, and A. Menciassi. “Advanced Micro-Nano-Bio Systems for Future Targeted Therapies”. Current nanoscience, 2014. (* Equally contributing authors) (I.F. = 1.24)
My research activity is mainly focused on the development of ultrasound-based systems for therapeutic purposes. In particular my mainly interests are:
- characterization of the ultrasound fields;
- system design for HIFU and LIPUS applications;
- measurement of acoustic properties of materials and tissues;
- investigation of physical effects due to the interaction between ultrasound waves and tissues.